This project addressed some of the school’s much needed improvements that time and population growth have brought to this beautiful neighborhood school.The original Southside Elementary School was built in the Mediterranean Revival style in 1926 with a cafetorium added in 1952. The cafetorium and 24 portables were replaced with a new, two-story Classroom and Cafetorium building designed in keeping with the original 1926 building. The HVAC system was replaced in the historical building and some interior finishes were upgraded. The project was built in three phases over a two-year period. Every effort was made to minimize disruption to the students, staff and neighbors while bringing about these much needed improvements and maintaining the beauty and character of the original building and the neighborhood.